What we do
We work with our members and partners globally, to empower and champion the rights of consumers, and ensure they are treated safely, fairly and honestly.
There are eight basic consumer rights which define and determine our principles. You can also read about our work to protect and empower consumers everywhere.
With over 240 Member organisations in 120 countries, we are building a powerful international movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere.
Founded in 1960, we are fighting for a fair, safe and sustainable future for all consumers in a global marketplace increasingly dominated by international corporations.
CI is a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee and registered in the UK (company no. 04337865). We are also a registered UK charity (no. 1122155).
Partnerships with consumer bodies
Consumers International works closely with international and regional consumer organisations to maximise our global impact for consumers and our Members. These organisations include ANEC, the European consumer voice in standardisation which represents the European consumer interest in the creation of technical standards. BEUC our associate member which represents Members and their consumers in Europe with Brussels, and ICRT, a global organisation active in the area of research and testing. Consumers International also coordinates the Transatlantic Consumer Dialogue (TACD), which is designed to promote contacts and exchanges between the EU and the US.
Our vision is of a world where people can make informed choices on safe and sustainable goods and services and in which individual and collective Consumer Rights are secure and respected.
We believe that:
- in order to live, all people consume - be it through the satisfaction of the most basic human need, through to considering complex financial products.
- the fundamental rights of all consumers are upheld and protected by corporations, governments and international decision-making bodies.
We think that consumers should be:
- provided with the right facts and skills, while being protected from misleading promotion, and be able to make confident and empowered decisions
- be confident that the products and services we buy are safe to use, and have the minimum impact on social and ecological conditions for both producers and consumers.
Our mission is to champion Consumer Rights internationally in order to help protect and empower consumers everywhere.
- To defend, promote, develop and pursue Consumer Rights as the international basis of consumer protection.
- To support, develop and work directly with our constituent member organisations, seeking to protect, inform, give a voice to and secure rights for consumers worldwide.
comments powered by
Stay across the big issues in the global consumer movement. Sign up now
Discover our plans to unlock consumer power on a global scale.Find out more
Find out how joining CI will help your organisation.Learn more